Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 18: Yoga X

Um, ouch.  I had two wonderful extra obstacles today:  a sunburned back and a gimpy right wrist.  If you've ever done yoga, you know that those are two obstacles that aren't particularly convenient.  I blame Father's Day and the incessant Seattle rain for the sunburn (doesn't sound quite right, huh?).  We're hosting FD tomorrow, and I wanted to spruce up the yard a bit.  We had a rare stretch of sunshine, so I just worked and worked and worked as hard and as fast as I could to get it all done because rain was in the forecast for today.  My back is burned, it's pouring out, but my yard looks beautiful.  The gimpy wrist?  Well, I grow a lovely ganglian cyst on my wrist, and it popped last night.  That's an owie if ever there was one.  The fluid was still pooled around my wrist, so it was right tender this a.m.  But, I got the job done.  Tony talks about working around your injuries, and that's just what I did. 

At the end, Tony takes you to the "lotus pose" and you do a set of "ohm's."  I love that when he's telling you what you're about to do, you can see that he's frustrated with the negative connotations of the "ohm."  He says, "It's a not a cult.  It's not a religion.  It's JUST ohm's."  Then you do them, and they're lovely.  Your head vibrates and it's an internal massage.  Today, I harmonized with him for an extra little flair.  I know, overachiever, but boy was it pretty. 

I once saw a video clip of a very popular and prominent pastor who was speaking about the evils of yoga.  He says you're inviting little demons into your life when you do it.  My guess is that he's tried yoga, failed miserably at it (as would any beginner; as I do often) and feels that in preaching about these little demons, he can happily justify leaving this part of physical training out of his routine.  Yoga is just plain awesome, and I'm about as worried about little demons as I am the pagan roots of the Christmas tree. 

There's really no relevance to that story except that I always think of that ridiculous video when I do Yoga X. 

Day 18:  Brought

 

No comments:

Post a Comment