Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Half Marathon Training Has Begun!

And...I have a LONG ways to go to 13.1, my friends!  Now that the training is here, I'm fearful I may not make it.  I have less than 2 months to go.  Eek! 

But, if Tony taught me anything, it's to do my best and forget the rest.  Regardless of whether or not I manage to run every step of that 13.1, I will undoubtedly run the absolute furthest I have ever run in my life on race day.  That has to count for something. 

That said, I'm going to work like crazy to get there.  A bit of filler of what's happened between the end of P90X and the beginning of half marathon, or HM, as I will refer to if from now on: 

My life got, let's say, rearranged, in ways I did not anticipate.  Mostly the rearrangements have been difficult but also for a greater good.  Still, I fell back on my old, not-so-awesome habit of emotionally eating.  I've packed on a good 5 pounds dealing--or not dealing, as it were--with all of this.  When I emotionally eat, then I get depressed.  When the depression creeps in, so does fear and laziness.  I put off HM training for an entire week and ate myself into oblivion.  

Then this past Sunday came.  It was the day of my 5K.  I came into it having not run one step in well over a month.  It felt like a make or break kind of moment, and I knew finishing it without walking would be just the boost I needed to get back on track.  So, with one of my favorite friends by my side, I set out to conquer 3.1 miles.  Conquer it I did, my friends.  It was painful and grueling and I did it.

I'm now on track with an HM schedule.  I have to admit, I'm skeptical.  But, I'm just going to do what it says and trust the system. 

Monday:  I rested.
Tuesday:  I ran a couple miles.  I tried to buck the schedule, but I couldn't.  So, I'll listen to it from now on.  
Wednesday:  I did Jillian Michael's Yoga meltdown since it's a "cross-training" day.  I forgot how much I hate and love that woman.  She combines yoga and cardio in this workout, and it's pretty awesome.  

I'm also doing the Yoplait Yogurt 2-week Tune Up just to give me a little shot in the weight loss arm and get the eating back under control.  I do love yogurt!  :-)  

So, now we're up to speed.  I'll keep you posted, hopefully a bit more often than I have been.  Not every day, but definitely multiple times a week.  It keeps me accountable.  And, any of you who have running tips for me, now's a great time to share them!   

No comments:

Post a Comment